Thursday, January 30, 2014

Hawaii Food Photos

So, like I said, here is a separate post for all the food I got to try in Hawaii! Granted, very little (if any) of it is "actual Hawaiian" food. But I did get to eat foods that I haven't been able to before. Feel free to skip this post if you're uninterested or don't feel like looking at food.



Like I said in the previous post, I got to eat an actual meal on a flight for the first time! I actually really enjoyed it. 


I'm not quite sure what kind of pasta / dish this is specifically. It was really good! At first I was worried about the amount of vegetable (spinach?) on it, but it wasn't as overwhelming as I thought. What's on top was pretty much all there was in the entire thing. There were also mushrooms, which I usually dislike, but eating them with the noodles wasn't too bad. 


These were Korean-style tacos. At first I wasn't going to order them because I figured they'd be pretty spicy. And then I did it anyway. I don't handle spicy foods very well, and I ended up eating the tacos quickly so the spiciness wasn't as bad. They were good! There were two different kinds of meat and some vegetables thrown in but I have no idea what they were. There was also a lot of sauce that dripped out of the tacos, which made it kind of messy. I think I'm going to try more Korean foods in the future. 


This was Hula Pie, I think? Basically it's ice cream covered in chocolate sauce and whipped cream with macadamia (I think? Or coconut?). It was really sweet. I liked it a lot, but since we split it three ways, it didn't last that long: 


The utensils they gave us were cool. They're pretty much long-handled, metal sporks. They said something on them but I forget what. 


We also visited the Dole Plantation! Mom was pretty much hell-bent on getting to try a Dole Whip. I'd also seen them advertised in at least one ABC Store, but getting one at the actual Dole Plantation seems a little more authentic. It was kind of bitter to me because it was entirely pineapple-flavored, but again we split it so there wasn't that much to eat. And it was good otherwise. 


Caesar salad is like a go-to food for me. Those croutons were really good. But I liked the roll the most.


That is a purple bread roll. Taro is a pretty big deal in Hawaii. It looks kind of purple-ish when it's in food. 


I'm used to having big breakfasts when we stay at hotels -- huge Belgian waffles (I had a pumpkin spice-flavored one in LA), bagels, pastries, and so on. But the hotel we stayed at in Waikiki was different. My breakfasts were usually toast and one or two pastries. And coffee, because I'm not one for fruit juice and they didn't have milk. I have learned that it's not a good idea to drink coffee often. They also had fruit, but I'm not into pineapple and I find oranges messy. Dad let me try a pineapple slice on the last day and it got stuck in my teeth. ><


I got to have bubble tea for the first time in a while! I decided to go for coconut flavor instead of my usual green tea or strawberry. It was really big compared to what I'm used to here -- I ended up having to share it so it would get finished. Mom didn't like the tapioca at all. She doesn't like mochi for about the same reason: texture. 


I'm not sure if I've had Calpico before the trip. I've had Pocari Sweat, though, which from what I can remember has about the same taste. They're both good, so if you have the chance, try them out! 




Not exactly food, but you know. Who thought La Cucaracha was a good restaurant name??


McDonald's had Taro Pie, which we all got to try. It was really good but the flaky pastry part made a mess when I bit into it ;; 


Wow this didn't photograph too well ;; But it was good! Cheesesteaks are generally pretty good anyway.


We went to a bakery in Little Tokyo and got food before we had to go back to the airport. Strawberry Calpico is really good as well, and I also got to try fresh melon pan for the first time! I've had it at least once before but it was prepackaged and from a Japanese market at home. This one was sweeter, like it had a lot of sugar on it. It was also flakier. I wish I got to eat melon pan more often ...

So that's it! Of course this isn't everything I ate, but I feel like this is a lot of pictures as it is. Hope I didn't make you too hungry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment