Monday, January 26, 2015

Five Anime Recs

Today I decided to share my most favorite animes recently! I'm not always too big on bandwagons, and a lot of times I don't watch the most popular animes from each season, but these were all ones I consistently kept up with or marathoned! The links all go to the anime's Crunchyroll page.


An anime about a group of kids with so-called "eye powers". I first got into the series through its music, starting with Kagerou Daze. The plot of the story is incredibly dense and inter-woven, and I have to be honest and say that the anime probably won't make sense without any background knowledge. However, the songs and Wikipedia / other online resources was enough for me, so I think with a little research you'd be fine. It's a really good story that builds upon itself as you get further and further into it, revisiting stuff that you thought happened and adding new facets to everything. It's really great. 


An anime focusing on monsters called "youmu". It's equally cute and depressing, and it oftentimes flip-flops between the two. I loved Mirai and Akihito. Honestly, I wish that the anime was longer than 13 episodes. I really wish I could get my hands on the light novels, but I just learned that two new movies are coming out this year, so I'm really looking forward to those once they're uploaded online. 

I wrote a review for Gekkan here, but if you haven't read it, this is an anime about a girl whose crush is the writer of a girls' manga called Let's Fall in Love. It's a really cute and fluffy anime with an interesting cast of characters. I loved all of them! I especially identified with Chiyo, and I tried to channel her strength when I confessed to my own crush. I'm hoping to cosplay her sometime in the near future. I wish this anime were longer, too -- I'm not really sure what they would be able to put in more episodes, but Gekkan has definitely become one of my all-time favorites. 
An anime about a high school swim club. This is actually one of the few bandwagons I jumped! I didn't watch the first season when it aired, but I marathoned it while I was working on my Otakon vlogs and managed to catch up with the second season just before it ended. I didn't think I'd like sports animes, so I was really surprised! I loved all of the characters in this anime, too! They all had a lot more depth than I expected going into the anime. It's really light-hearted for the most part, but a few of the episodes in the second season regarding the end of high school really hit home for me. 

... And of course Sailor Moon is my top pick! In case you've never heard of it before, it's an anime about a group of magical girls "fighting evil by moonlight and winning love by daylight". I'm still kind of in awe that we got both a re-sub and re-dub of the original anime by Viz and an entirely new adaptation in the same year! Sailor Moon is kind of all over the spectrum in terms of mood -- Crystal is honestly more dark than the original, simply because they don't have the time for filler episodes that can explore the plot and the characters. Still, it's pretty uplifting! These girls literally go through hell each season and still persevere and save the world. If you've never watched it before, you should definitely at least try it out! I wrote a review of Crystal / a comparison between the two animes here if you don't want to have to watch both versions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment