Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Half Bad by Sally Green

TL;DR MC is the only witch classified as both "good" and "bad"
(finished 9/14/15)

Half Bad was #596 on my TBR. It's been there for a long time. I've gotta say, I really enjoyed reading it, but I don't think it was quite what I was expecting. I don't even remember exactly what I was expecting, and Half Bad managed to impress me even despite that. 

It definitely stands out from the very beginning, starting with a 2nd person POV. I can't say I've ever really read a book that used that before. It only lasts for one section, later switching over to 1st person, but it was a really cool way to get me involved and invested in the story. 

The premise and worldbuilding are definitely unique, too. I kind of wish there was more in regards to the witch vs fain history and how they ended up getting to the point that they were at, but that's really just me. The scariest part is that Nathan's treatment by both the Council and people in general is believable -- it's cruel and completely heartless, but I honestly don't think it's any different than some of the treatments minority and persecuted groups have experienced in the past. (And there are some terrible things in history.) It really made me sympathize for Nathan and his family, as well as anybody who's faced similar situations in real life. 

Honestly, I waited too long to write this review, so I don't remember all the other points I was going to talk about, OTL. The characters were good and the plot was solid. It was easy to finish and I don't think I ever really felt like I was dragging my feet to get to the end. I'm definitely going to read the next book, since there's still a lot of stuff I want to know about. 

(Hopefully at some point I'll go back and add onto this review, but I feel so short-circuited right now and I don't even know if I returned the book yet or not.)

TL;DR it was good but apparently not all too memorable a month after the fact. But that's also due to my terrible memory soo I think you should still read it nonetheless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment