Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Inherit the Stars by Tessa Elwood

TL;DR space politics
TBR #1239, added Jun 24, 2015
finished 2/5/17

I bought a paperback copy of Inherit the Stars from Amazon for $1.89 after taxes, thanks to some lucky timing. The price has since gone up to $7 or so since I held onto my copy for like 5 months before doing anything with it.

I read most of the book in the space of an afternoon. This is definitely an easy book to get through if you're looking for something that won't take a week to finish. The narration was easy to get along with, though on the other hand I will admit that it is a little shallow with worldbuilding. Asa's narration focuses on what's necessary for the story, which is good, but I would've liked to see a little more about this world than we got.

The characters definitely made up for some of that. Nearly all the conflict within Inherit the Stars' narration is character-driven; most of the problems that Asa or her family face within the book are created or solved by the other characters, not by their environment or sheer fate. I definitely sympathized with Asa, despite the many questionable decisions she made -- I think her justification for those actions was above average for 16 year old girls in YA books. I also came to like Eagle and I liked seeing how all the adults reacted to the issues faced, even if I didn't like what most of them actually did. It was an interesting power play, you know? I think that's underutilized in YA even with all the dystopian / ~suddenly royalty~ stuff.

Honestly I wish I'd picked a different day to start this book, because I wasn't able to focus on it as much as I would've liked. Good news is, I own a copy of it, so I'm going to hold onto it for a while and hopefully come back to re-read it. I added the second book to my Amazon wishlist so hopefully I can find a good time to buy that book as well.

TL;DR I breezed through it pretty quickly but I definitely think it was worth buying and I'll most likely come back to it again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment