Monday, April 15, 2013

Matryoshka Hoodie How-to

For once I remembered to document the steps I took in making a cosplay! Surprise! This is for the face on the hood of my Matryoshka Gumi hoodie. Only one side is painted, but that's enough for a tutorial, right? I used this one from deviantart when painting my yellow Matryoshka hoodie, but for the red one I went from memory.

Materials: white and black paint, a small paintbrush and a wider paintbrush.
--> Note: I used acrylic paint. It works, but the face on my yellow hoodie is starting to crack a little. I don't really like fabric paint but that's probably a better idea.

First, I painted the white circle for the eye and the black crescent for the mouth. I think I free-handed this one, but it's a good idea to trace the pattern on in pencil. 

Then I added another layer of paint to make it darker. 

Then I added in the details. This is after one more layer of paint. The eye looks pretty good, but obviously it takes a few layers to make the teeth look nice. 
I think this is a couple more layers of paint. Not sure how many. 

But anyway, it's fairly easy to make! Just a little tedious because it requires more than one layer of paint and waiting for paint to dry can be agonizing. For me, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment