Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pre NaNoWriMo 2014

This year will be my fourth year participating in NaNoWriMo, and will hopefully be my second win. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

From their website: "National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing. On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30."

It sounds hard. And it is. But it's doable. I'm the biggest procrastinator in the world and hardly ever finish anything I start, and I managed to both write 70,000 words last November and finally finish the first draft of my novel about a week ago.

So it's definitely not impossible.

I really enjoy learning about other peoples' "weapons of mass creation", so to speak, so I figured I'd share mine as well.


I don't have a desk in my room, so I use my bed (or the floor) for just about everything. My laptop has been like a godsend. It was incredibly useful during the second half of November last year when I got it, and made it infinitely easier to write. I really should back up all of my documents from last year and clear them off the computer so I have more of a "fresh start" of sorts. 


I've been using the teal binder for the past two years, but it's definitely seen better days and I finally have binders I can replace it with. I just got a whole bunch of relatively unused office supplies from my grandparents and I'm really dying to start using them. 

I write on the blank backs of old school papers since I like to constantly re-organize and work better when I can see multiple things at once instead of having to flip back and forth. And it's eco-friendly. (*•̀ᴗ•́*)و ̑̑ 


However, I do have an old composition notebook that I haul around at school and write in when I should be taking notes. (҂⌣̀_⌣́) It's really helpful to have since I come up with a bunch of "what ifs" and then forget them very quickly... And it's fun to color the cover in, too. 


I have a whole bunch of different writing utensils stashed about my room. I use the top pencil case the most since it's always with my sketchbook, but last year I relied heavily on the donut one on the bottom. (It smells like the chai tea chapstick I have in there. I opened it up a few minutes ago and the smell just reminds me of writing. So that's very good sense-association right there.) The Pentel pens in the middle are my go-to set when we peer edit in class, and are also what I've been using to color in the composition cover. They're awesome pens and have lasted for about four years at this point. 


However, I did cave a little and buy some brand-new supplies;; I've wanted a more varied set of pens recently, especially since I lost the purple Pentel pen shortly after I bought the set, so I bought an InkJoy set when I got a new sketchbook. I got the pencil case at Anime USA because it was cute and slightly ridiculous.

The pencil case reads: "Nothing happens until something 
moves actions produce genius magic and power."

The tag on it is in Korean. Despite the nonsense English, it still seems like a pretty inspirational message if you think about it. (Also, I have no idea if the InkJoy pens will all fit inside it. I really hope so.)

So those are my weapons of mass creation! I do all of the writing itself on the computer, but I brainstorm much better on paper. And stationery is a huge weakness of mine. If I were a dragon, I'd hoard stationery supplies. 

I'm hoping to do at least one other blog post regarding my NaNo attack methods, so please look forward to that! And prompt me if I forget to do it. Because I'll probably forget about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment