Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Results of NaNo

I can't believe it's December already! November kind of went by in a blur since I was trying to win NaNo. And I did! My final word count was 70, 415 words.


Once I hit 50,000 words on the 20th, I kind of lost motivation. I validated my word count a few days later and it jumped about 100 words. Then, at 8pm on the 30th, I decided I wanted to get up to 70k. Which meant writing it in four hours. And I did it in three and a half. I'm so amazed at how much I was able to write in that amount of time -- and it also left me pretty mentally tired. I can promise you about 98% of what I wrote on the 30th was crap. 

However, that rush on the last day helped me come up with a better plot for when I re-write my novel. The last scene I wrote introduced a new character on a whim and I decided that I want to continue with that rather than just let that scene go. 

Also, based on the amount of scenes I wrote on just two of the characters, I've decided to make my novel focus more on them. They're fun to write and I usually imagine scenarios or conversations between them when I should be paying attention to class. (It's more fun, anyway.) 

TL; DR I won NaNo for the first time and I'm so proud of how much I accomplished. 

1 comment: