Sunday, November 15, 2015

Mid-NaNo Update

My posting schedule worked out so I would actually have a post on the 15th. Too bad I forgot to actually write the post at first ...


NaNo so far hasn't been as easy as it's been the past two years. Like I predicted, it's been a little hard for me to switch gears from Aperture to Casanova, but I've been toughing through it.

I participated in Double Up Day for the first time this year, which was awesome. I wasn't able to donate the past two years, so I'm glad that I was able to pitch in to keep the program going strong and helping out other people. It also helped me get significantly ahead on my word count! I've been keeping up the pace since then and as of last night my average word count per day was about 2k.

This is how my word count bar looked like as of this morning. I haven't written anything yet for today (which is why my daily average is under 2k).

In regards to the writing itself ... I've been making do with what I can come up. Most of what I write by this point is only dialogue. It's been a little hard for me to focus on a plot-driven story when I'm so used to writing a character-driven one, especially when a lot of the plot still isn't decided on yet. It's helped in forcing me make temporary decisions in regards to the plot in order to make word count. 

The dialogue scenes have helped me get a better sense of the characters, too. I write down whatever ends up coming to mind as responses, and all of the characters have developed more than I thought they would have by this point. They still sound a lot like the Aperture characters, but that's always something I can go back and fix in subsequent drafts. 

I actually made it until the 10th before I started writing for Aperture again! I haven't been including any of my Aperture writing in my NaNo word counts, and it's only been <2k so far, but letting myself take a little rest from Casanova has been good. And bad. Usually I want to write for Aperture more than I want to for my NaNo, so I have to force myself to focus, but that's also been good in making myself get it done so I can go back to what I want to work on. 

I didn't write at all on the 13th, which was a little disappointing, but I'm not super heartbroken about it. I had a sleepover with my friend and we went to see the play at our old high school. I think the day off helped me write almost 3k on the 14th. 

I'll come back to this post later and update it with a day-by-day chart of my word counts (and include what I got done today), so please check back! ♥ If any of you are participating in NaNo too, I'd love to hear how you're doing!

Edit: I made the chart I was talking about! It actually includes through the 16th. 


The blue bars are Casanova and the red are Aperture. I've fallen into the habit of focusing on Aperture again, and I'm pretty sure I've lose any lead I've built up from skipping both the 13th and 15th (and writing only 81 words on the 16th), so I'm hoping I can recover from this quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment