Monday, November 9, 2015

TBR for the Remainder of 2015

Aka "I am banning myself from the library until Jan 1st, 2016 because I need to read these books I actually spent money on"

I have a bad tendency to get more books from the library than I can reasonably read, meaning that I a) renew them to the point where they sit on my floor for two months, and b) completely ignore the books I spent my own (or other people's) money on because they're not exactly going anywhere.

But, you know, I should kind of clear out my non-library TBR so I don't feel so guilty about going to the library in 2016.

Edit 12/2/15: I added the links to my reviews of The Sword of Summer and Carry On!
Edit 3/22/16: I added links to the reviews of books I read between December and March.

I'd like to think that my graphic design skills are improving. Or maybe I'm just burnt-out from NaNo that I think anything not a wall of words looks good. I don't know.

So:

Dark Star by Bethany Frenette (my review)

I started listening to the audiobook of Dark Star on our trip to Alaska, like, three years ago. (I can't believe it's been that long, OTL.) I really loved the narrator's voice, but like my struggles with Welcome to Night Vale, I kept falling asleep. It is just impossible for me to be read to. I can't focus on it.

And by the time I decided I would buy the book for myself, guess what? Barnes and Noble stopped selling it in their physical-building stores. So I finally got around and bought it with a gift card I got for my birthday. And it has since sat.

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (my review)

This one wasn't really a "oh my gosh I have to have it", but I found a paperback copy at an indie bookstore in Alexandria, so my grandmother bought it for me. (As a birthday-ish present? I don't remember. I think I'm supposed to lend it to her when I'm done.)

I've heard really good things about Shadow and Bone, especially from my friend who just read it recently, as well as really good things about Six of Crows.

Welcome to Night Vale by Jeffrey Cranor and Joseph Fink (my review)

I've been listening to Welcome to Night Vale since we went to Alaska. I haven't really kept up with it, so I was a few months behind when I heard the announcement they were going to publish a book.

I've actually started reading this, but I don't know if I'll finish it before this post goes up. The book has exceeded a lot of expectations so far, and considering I had the bar set a little high in the first place, that's awesome.

Winterspell by Claire Legrand (my review)

I've been wanting this for a while now since doing a sci-fi Nutcracker retelling for my Creative Lit class. But, of course, as soon as I decided I wanted to buy it, I could never find copies at B&N. I found a copy when I bought Welcome to Night Vale and was super happy.

Of course, I went to a different B&N within a week and found the paperback copies for $10 cheaper. >:| Oh well. At least the hardcover will be a little harder to destroy.

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

I got my copy from a used book sale, and it's actually a copy designed for an inter-hotel book swap ;; So I'm not sure if there are any edits to the content. It's a fairly thin book.

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry

This I also got from the book sale, but I hadn't heard of it before. I'm looking forward to reading it since I know very little about this series.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

I'm 99% sure I read the book back during elementary school. (I read The Magician's Nephew, at least, with the intention of reading the entire series. I forget how far I got.) I saw the movie adaptation they came out with back towards elementary school, but y'know, movie adaptations don't always count.

Defy by Sara B. Larson

I got this from my friend's sister well over a year ago and it's been sitting in my "stack of books acting as a nightstand" ever since.

The Feros by Wesley King

I bought this from the same used book sale as Peter Pan and Peter and the Starcatchers. I really enjoyed (first book???) but I had to go back and re-read it to get back into the world.

Of course, I waited too long after my re-read, so I'm still in the same position I started in.

Kinslayer by Jay Kristoff

My grandmother bought me both Stormdancer and Kinslayer when I managed to find them in B&N quite a while back. It took me forever to get through Stormdancer, probably because I kept it in my messenger bag and only read it in the car or while we were out somewhere. I'm hoping that Kinslayer will be a little better in terms of sitting down and reading it willingly.

Invaded by Melissa Landers

I bought Alienated when I bought Fairest and I lent it to my grandmother after I read it. She went ahead and bought Invaded afterwards, and I'm pretty sure I was supposed to read it first before she did, and tl;dr I haven't touched it since. OTL. I'm a terrible granddaughter.

I beat myself to the punch and read these before the post went up:

The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Their reviews will come out later this month, and I'll update this post to include the links to them! These links now go to my reviews instead of their Goodreads pages.

Let me know if you've read any of these! I'd love to hear more about these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment