Monday, June 27, 2016

Beyond the Red by Ava Jae

TL;DR aliens and humans
TBR #1046, added Oct 16 2014
finished 6/19/16

I've been following Ava Jae's blog for a while, so I was super excited to hear she was planning on publishing a book! I bought a copy from Barnes and Noble shortly after it came out but let it sit for a couple months in favor of my library books. (I really don't understand my habits tbh.)

I managed to devour the book within a day once I picked it up. I thought the premise and the execution were really intriguing! The beginning was a lot different than I was expecting but I loved how the book played out. The world was also unique and I really want to see more of it. I'm really curious about its past.

I also liked the characters, but I didn't really feel attached to anyone more than Kora and Eros. (This might also just be a problem on my end, because the other characters did have depth and motives that weren't related to the immediate plot. It might just be that I didn't see enough of these other sides to have any more than basic curiosity.)

Beyond The Red is currently a standalone, but Jae said on Goodreads that it has the potential to be a series depending on the publisher. I went into it expecting a series so I was really surprised by the open-end. I'm really hoping the publisher decides to pick up subsequent books.

(This review is so short OTL I'm sorry)

TL;DR please read it if you like sci-fi that's not just pew-pew space battles. I need more people to read it so I can talk to them about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment