Tuesday, September 13, 2016

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

TL;DR New Adult high fantasy
TBR #1091, added Nov 14 2014
finished 8/21/16

ACOTAR was the reason I started getting ebooks from my library again lol. I'd found some boards on Pinterest that made me super intrigued in the series, but I knew the hold queue for the physical library books would take forever and I couldn't justify buying it right before Otakon. So I placed a hold on the ebook and waited to see if I ended up buying it off Amazon first.

Luckily my patience won out and I managed to get the library ebook without too much of a wait. I'm really glad I decided to push through getting it instead of just waiting for a copy to fall into my hands, but I think I threw myself a little too into the series and burned myself out already lol.

The biggest reason for that is that Pinterest has a ton of spoilers, and because of the couple boards I looked at, I already knew a couple things that would happen over the course of the story. I also already know what's generally going to happen in the second book, which doesn't make me as [grabby hands] for it. I looked at a lot more Pinterest boards after I finished reading ACOTAR and got a little sick of it.

The whole book in itself is pretty good. The beginning is a little slow but once the plot started moving along I was invested in seeing how what I'd learned from the internet fit into the book overall. All the characters were pretty good, though at the same time I can also say I'm not as invested in them as I'd wanted to be. I'm more invested in the worldbuilding.

Like, my main interest in the second book now is seeing what more of the world looks like, not necessarily what Feyre's story is going to be. Which maybe isn't the best thing, because I should probably be more interested in the characters. Even in ACOTAR, I was a little more biased towards the worldbuilding and the whole setting outside of Feyre's story than necessarily Feyre's story itself.

Also, this is definitely not a book to read when there's a chance of someone reading over your shoulder. There are some ... steamy sections. I'd actually say the entire second half of the book is questionable reading in public. I'm still a little conflicted about the romance itself, because it's not quite insta-love, but I can't really otherwise say what attraction they really do have to each other. And also because Pinterest kind of ruined the outcome of the second book for me.

(Based on the romance and the fact that Feyre is nineteen, I'd classify this as more New Adult-ish than as a YA.)

(I'm the same age as Feyre. Holy crap.)

I am still planning on continuing with this series, and based on Goodreads' listings, it looks like it's going to be a long one. Which could be good or bad, I guess. I'm going to try and knock out a few other books on my TBR and get through all the currently-available ebooks at my library before I request A Court of Mist and Fury.

TL;DR I was too interested in this too quickly and burned myself out, but it's a good read and I think it's worth the popularity it currently has.

No comments:

Post a Comment