Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George

TL:DR Dracula but with werewolves, too
TBR #1262, added Jun 17 2015
library Kindle copy, finished 8/19/16

I got a lucky break again with the library catalog in that the ebook for Silver in the Blood didn't have a wait! In fact, I think there were two copies available when I nabbed mine. It's kind of surprising to me considering now long the hold lists can be on newer books -- but then again, I've see the hardcover copy pretty consistently on the shelves at my branch.

Which I think is a shame, because Silver in the Blood was so good. I'd downloaded a sample from Google Play and was intrigued by the aesthetic, even though it cut off before anything good could really happen. I'm not usually one for historical fiction, but dang am I on board for some more of this.

I'm going to admit right here that I waited two and a half weeks to write this review from the time I finished reading. I don't remember a lot of clear details anymore because I've finished four other books in that span of time -- a lot of this review is my lingering feelings and they're probably amplified.

(You'd think I would learn not to do this. And yet I have yet to really touch the drafts for the other four books I've finished. Forgive me.)

The premise and execution were unique, even for toeing the line of common supernatural YA tropes. It took directions I wasn't expecting (based on the tropes of the genre) and stood out wonderfully by going back to the roots of Dracula. The setting was great, too, but I'm going to admit that it looked a lot like Paris in my head instead of Romania.

(I've been to neither. I don't know if this was specifically a lack of imagery on the books' part or an abundance of Parisian imagery from other books that completely overshadowed it.)

Dacia and Lou were such great main characters. They seemed pretty standard for late 19th century girls at first, but their character arcs were amazing. I was surprised by how they changed (ha) and I appreciated that they were strong but also vulnerable. There were also some interesting dynamics with the rest of their family, and I wish we could've seen more of it.

Goodreads is telling me that Silver in the Blood is currently a standalone with a possible potential to be expanded on. I'm sooo crossing my fingers for some more of this world and these characters in the future. Like, I need it. I love the fact that it's such a great standalone but I am craving the development into a series so much.

TL:DR it's a supernatural-historical fiction YA, two genres that are normally somewhat off-putting to me, and somehow combined like this they were perfect. I need more people to discuss this book with. Please try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment