Thursday, September 1, 2016

Google Play Samples - July / August

I didn't think I would have another one of these posts for a while, but I somehow got through a small number of them over the past two months.



I've figured out how to get e-books through my library, so I think the frequency of these posts is going to die down in the future, at least until I catch up with the available books. (The wait lists on ebooks can be 60+, which is weird, because it's not like we're all vying for a single physical copy.)

The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love by Sarvenaz Tash, TBR #1625

Never Ever by Sara Saedi, TBR #1362

Cure for the Common Universe by Christian McKay Heidicker, TBR #1626

The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson, TBR #1282

Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George, TBR #1262 ^

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir, TBR #1101 ^

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, TBR #939 ^

The last three on the list were ones I placed library holds on after reading the samples, and so far I've actually read Silver in the Blood. (I totally recommend it.) I've got my copy of An Ember in the Ashes but haven't touched it yet, and I don't expect to get my hands on Red Queen until at least December ...

One thing I do have to say is that reading the sample actually put me off of Never Ever. I really like the story of Peter Pan but the narration didn't work for me and I wasn't very impressed by what was included in the sample. (Which is strange, because Google's sample is lengthier than the one on Goodreads ...) The narration felt very MG and way too young for the characters. I don't know if this was to try and feel like fairy tale/childhood story narration or if it just missed the audience mark. And maybe it's just me. Most of the first-page reviews on Goodreads are positive.

This was actually my first experience where reading the sample made me question my decision to add something to my TBR. As a general rule I don't delete books off my TBR, and I'm probably going to read it regardless if I can get my hands on it, but it was still strange for me. I guess that's the downfall of sampling books - I was bound to encounter one that didn't agree with me eventually.

I changed around my class schedule for this semester, so I won't have much down time on campus. I don't know that I'll be going through a lot of samples like I did in the spring. (Though I read most of those samples waiting for the bus, and I have my car now, so that's still a moot point.) I guess we'll see what happens.

If you guys have any opinions / experience with any of these books, let me know! I'd love to hear more thoughts about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment