Thursday, December 26, 2013

Books I've Read -- Dec.

I keep telling myself I'm going to keep up with these posts as I read the books, and then I push writing it off until the end of the month.

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong, finished 12/5. The Awakening kind of ... fell flat for me. I mean, the first book did too for the most part, but I was at least somewhat interested in what was going to happen next. I don't want to say The Awakening fell into a cliche, because I can't exactly pinpoint it, but it wasn't exactly new and exciting for me. I guess there's a re-occurring theme regarding the supernatural and the bad guys trying to capture and lie to the kids. However I am still in the minority for this and at least one of the book bloggers I follow really enjoyed it. And really, it's not a horrible book, it's just not a totally interesting one for me. I'm probably not going to finish the series.

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, finished 12/17. (Ironically, this book has the same Goodreads rating as The Awakening.) Most of my friends starting reading this series back in middle school. I didn't. I had no idea what to pick up from the library (AGAIN), and then one of my friends pointed out the series. So I decided to give it a try. And I'm glad! I really liked The Lightning Thief. It kind of reminded me of the few episodes I've seen of American Dragon: Jake Long because they both deal with mythology, but of course they're totally different mediums and focus on different aspects. I liked the narration and how things were explained -- I have almost no background knowledge on Greek mythology. Anyway, I'm hoping to pick up the second book as soon as I can get my hands on a copy of it.

Asunder by Jodi Meadows, finished 12/20. I didn't plan on reading Asunder, but I just needed to have a book in my hands. I thought Incarnate was just okay -- not great, but not terrible, either. I liked how Incarnate was something new for me with the concepts of reincarnation. I read it over a year ago, so I really can't talk much about that. However, I didn't like how Asunder focused so much on the romance. (Incarnate probably did that too, and I just don't remember.) I felt like there was a lot of action that could've been happening, but a lot of the book was just focused on Ana's (as well as some other characters') seemingly mixed feelings for Sam. So, if you start Asunder looking for romance book, then you might enjoy it. I apparently just don't like romance books.

I'm posting this a little bit early because I don't think I'll finish my library books by the time the month ends. I picked books off the shelf at random and I'm having a hard time focusing on the words when I could be on tumblr instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment