Thursday, July 16, 2015

June Vacation: Food

So you may or may not have been wondering why I have an entire post dedicated to what I ate on the trip. (I don't know. You may not even have questioned it.) I'm one of those girls who takes a lot of food pictures if I'm not at home -- not so I can instagram them (though I do sometimes), but because I forget a lot of things and there are a lot of cool foods in the world that I don't want to forget about.


If you're not in the mood to look at food pictures, or just aren't that interested in the first place, feel free to skip this post. I'm not gonna judge.

I might also go back and update this post after my mom corrects me about everything I got wrong ... like I said, my memory's not that great, so I actually forgot a lot of the names of what I ordered or where exactly we ate.

This trip, I decided to do something completely new and choose to eat only from places we don't have here on the east coast. I mean, I can eat McDonald's here any time. I may as well take advantage of new opportunities, you know?





Day one: home / Las Vegas

Okay, I guess this is a little bit of an exception. Arby's do exist in our general area. But I have no idea where the closest one is, nor can I tell you the last time I ate there. 

Apparently I didn't take pictures of the snacks. Oh well. Usually Southwest will hand you the cups already filled with the drink you asked for, so I was really surprised when they gave us full cans. It was so strange. I also refuse to eat the peanut snacks because of a bad taste association with our Oregon trip and being super hungry, so I switched with my parents so I only had to eat pretzels. 

It's probably a good thing we don't have In-N-Out here, because otherwise I would eat it all the time. Holy cow, it's amazing. I love it. And the strawberry milkshake is awesome. We had it the first time we went out to Las Vegas and I still thought about the food up until this trip was planned. 

Day 2: Las Vegas / Anaheim

All hotels tend to offer the same kinds of breakfast. No matter which one you stay at. 

Mom put a little too much batter into the waffle machine. 

Okay, so I didn't actually get to try this, but we found these at Target and I was like "...???" and I'm really mad I didn't buy one of them. I'm curious as to what makes it better. 

I'm pretty sure we had Del Taco the last time we were out here as well, but I don't remember what I ate. I'm not even sure what kinds of tacos these were. (I waited too long to write this.) I'm pretty sure they were really cheap ones you can order individually. 

Not the most appealing-looking taco, but it was pretty good. Better than what I remember Taco Bell tasting like, at least. 

We ordered pizza from a place right next to our hotel and it was really good. It was also really hot. We ate it straight out of the box in front of our hotel while we waited for the Disneyland fireworks. Which they ended up not doing for whatever reason. It was still a nice night, though. 

Day 3: Disneyland
I decided to try oatmeal since I found a peaches and cream-flavored one. It was actually really good! Better than I expected, honestly. I ate it again the next day, which is probably also why I don't have a breakfast picture for day 4. I kind of had to kludge making it since I couldn't measure how much water I was putting in, but it turned out fine both times. 

The pretzel snack we had was really good. Kind of creepy-looking, but you can't really go wrong with soft pretzels. 

Somehow I forgot to take a picture of our dinner, and I'm really mad! I think it also had to do with my mood, since it was after Splash Mountain and I was soaked. We had soup / bread bowls and the one we had was awesome

Day 4: Burbank

I ate the same peach oatmeal for breakfast, so I don't have a picture of that.

We ate here for lunch! 

This is either cherry or strawberry Coke. I don't remember which one;; it was really good! The ice gave it a slightly different feel since it was all crushed up. Mom got a chocolate Coke but I didn't like that one as much. I think she described it as "Coke with Nesquik", and it wasn't very appealing to me. 

Dad got this orange milkshake. It was really good too!

Oh man this salad was so good. I probably could've eaten it alone for lunch. 

I don't remember exactly what this was called but it's one of the original things they used to serve. It was so huge x___x I ended up having to get my parents to finish it for me since I filled up on the salad. It wasn't really my thing, but I still liked it. (At first. And then I got full and was like "make it go away".)

For dinner, we went to Souplantation since there was one right next to our hotel. It was cool! There were too many options though :O We ended up getting our stuff to go and eating it in the lobby / breakfast area of the hotel since there were a lot of people at the restaurant. 
These muffins looked kind of strange but they were really good! 

We got free cookies, too, and I'm not sure if that's a normal thing or because it was our first time there. 

Day 5: Los Angeles


We re-visited the Yamazaki bakery in Little Tokyo, and this time I got green tea bread. I've never had it before! I really like matcha-flavored stuff but not green tea itself ;; Last time I got melon bread and it was amazing. (The only other time I've had melon bread was a pre-packaged thing from a little Japanese convenience store at home, so that doesn't really compare to fresh bread.) 

We ate from a place on the Santa Monica pier that I don't remember the name of ;; I'm pretty sure my parents and I all ordered the same thing. It was good! I don't usually like hamburgers or steak that's been cooked to the point of becoming crunchy, though, and unfortunately the sandwich I picked had gotten to that point ;; 

My dad and I got drinks from Soda Jerks! I saw that they had egg creams, which I had first learned about through Danny Phantom ;; I never looked into what they were but this was the first time I'd ever had a chance to try it, so I took it! It wasn't as great as I expected :c It was actually kind of bitter. It actually reminded me of the old-fashioned cream soda I tried in Kansas.

Day 6: San Diego

I got this at the museum. My parents kept trying to tell me to eat it faster because of the time frame we had, which was kind of hard considering it was pretty dry ;; Trying to eat it faster than I was made me feel kind of sick. It tasted yummy, but it was so dry and crumbly that it was hard for me to eat it without my parents trying to give me grief :( 

We ate at Shakey's Pizza for dinner at a mall near our hotel. My parents picked it since there used to be one in our area but it closed a while ago. It was pretty good! I don't think there's necessarily anything unique about the pizza, though. I was surprised to find strawberry soda from a fountain machine! 

Day 7: San Diego / Las Vegas

By the end of the trip I did learn not to take more food than I knew I could eat ...

We stopped at the Yum-Yum Donuts next to our hotel as we were leaving San Diego! I didn't eat mine right away. Pink donuts are my favorite and this one was great because it was so much taller than a Dunkin Donuts one! It reminded me of the kind of donuts Shoppers sells that are the size of two donuts stacked on top of each other. 

For lunch we stopped at Original Tommy's on our way back. I don't know which one we stopped at but the website lists a lot more than I thought! I thought there were only, like, three. I'm not really sure what I got (like always OTL) but it was impressive! It wasn't really my thing but everything on it was huge. 

Especially these pickles. I hate pickles so much. And there were, like, six of them. The tomato slice was pretty big, too. It's definitely more than McDonald's hamburgers have on them. 

We walked over to the Firehouse Subs near our hotel for dinner. My parents ate at one when they were in Williamsburg for their anniversary but I had left with my grandparents before that, so this was my first time trying it. I split a sandwich with my mom since I'd filled up on soda while we sat in the lobby for the live music. I wanna say this was an Italian sub? Idk. I didn't order it. 

Day 8: Las Vegas / home


We stopped at Jack in the Box for lunch right before returning back to the airport. We ate at the one in Needles our last Las Vegas trip and I wasn't too impressed with it then, but I think it was better this time. 

I usually don't get crunchy / hard shell tacos because I used to struggle immensely with them when I was younger, but I was surprised that mine didn't fall apart on me this time!

We also ordered churros because I was still kind of hungry and they sounded really good. They were super sweet! I haven't had churros very often, so it was nice. The filling started to spill out the other side when you bit into them, though. They were kind of messy. (Worth it, but messy.)

We were at the end of the terminal in the airport, so we didn't have too many options for dinner. I picked Sbarro since we rarely ever get to eat it. It was pretty expensive but I'm not sure that's really out of the ordinary for airport food. It was good! the slice was a lot bigger than I expected. 

I got a picture of the snacks on the way back! I ordered water instead of soda this time. I've never seen canned water before this trip. I think I still have the bag of pretzels in my room. (I still haven't unpacked completely. Shh.)

Anyway, that's it! Thank you so much if you read this far! I know this probably isn't the most exciting post in the series. I'm kind of sad that I have no more posts about the trip >< I had a ton of fun and I really appreciate everything I was able to experience during it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment