Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

TL;DR very Halloween aesthetic
TBR #69, added Jan 11 2013
finished 7/2/16

I bought my copy of The Raven Boys from the thrift store in surprisingly good condition. It sat around in my room for a couple months before I started reading it at the end of March, put it aside around page 40, and sat again until I took it along for a long day trip. 

I'm really glad of my decision to take it along to our family gathering. I read it most of the time instead of socializing lol. I also read it in the car as long as I could before it got too dark, and then finished off the last couple chapters once we got home. 

The Raven Boys is definitely something that you should read uninterrupted. I should've started over instead of picking up from where I'd left off in March, and I probably missed out on some details by reading it on and off at the gathering. (Especially the details that separate the boys from each other. I can't really match them to their names.) I'm definitely planning on re-reading it. 

I think the series is definitely worth the hype, at least based on the first book. It's got a really solid aesthetic, and once I started to understand what was really going on, I didn't want to put the book down. I'm still not sure how to describe The Raven Boys, and I definitely couldn't tell you what the whole series is truly about, but dang am I on board with this fandom. 

I've also seen a lot of cool fanart from cherryandsisters on instagram (tumblr) and some amazing aesthetic boards on Pinterest (none of which I can track down right now in my sea of bookmarked boards). These were definitely half of the reason I decided to pick up the book again after I neglected it for my library books. 

The Raven Boys probably isn't something to read late at night, unless you like potentially creeping yourself out. It's definitely more anticipation of something happening than scary stuff actually happening (for the most part). I really want to see what happens in the subsequent books. 

I'm pretty sure the last book in the series came out recently, so I think this would be a really good series to marathon. I'm really hoping the library has available copies, or that I'll get some lucky finds at the thrift store soon. I haven't read Stiefvater's other series but I'm thinking about trying it out after my success with this. 

TL;DR it's a great setup to a series and I'm definitely hyped to continue with it. 

(On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure this is the highest book on my TBR I've read since I started keeping track of it OTL. I really need to get better at this.) EDIT: I went back through my notes and found that North of Beautiful was #49 and Winter was #17, so The Raven Boys is actually like the third-highest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment