Monday, April 25, 2016

North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

TL;DR geography and interpersonal relationships
TBR #49 (added Aug 4, 2012)
finished 3/29/16

This is probably the highest book on my TBR that I've finished since I joined Goodreads. Definitely since I started paying attention to their positions. I've been trying to get my hands on this book for a while, but I didn't know much about it when I finally did, so I went in pretty blind.

Which was nice! I was really happy to learn just how big of a motif geography and cartography are in the story. (I might as well tattoo "geography nerd" on my forehead tbh.) There are so many sticky notes in my copy that I'll doubt I'll actually get around to making a map for it anytime soon. Which is kind of a shame because it's so detailed that I could make a really hella Google map for it.

Going in blind also meant that I was unaware of the other major topic: verbal / emotional abuse coming from a parent. It was difficult for me to read and it's a huge CW, so I don't recommend North of Beautiful if that's a sensitive topic for you.

I waited too long to write this review, tbh ;; Don't procrastinate, kids.

I loved reading a book that paid so much attention to spatial characteristics / geography, especially with how it tied into the story and the characters. I feel like the use of it was really nuanced and would be one of those things teachers would make you write an essay about in school.

(In a good way?)

I also liked how all of the characters were flawed and that the reasoning for it was explored. Terra put a lot of thought into trying to understand other people. None of the flaws were rationalized, but they were examined within the context of what the characters had experienced.

I really liked Terra and Jacob's friendship, but I think the book wrapped up a little too nicely. I was hoping for more uncertainty with how the last couple chapters went. I'm willing to let it go since it's a standalone though.

TL;DR it's really honest about interpersonal relationships and how that affects your own self-understanding. It definitely doesn't hold back. And there's also lots of geography, so that automatically makes it my fave.

No comments:

Post a Comment