Friday, October 28, 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

TL;DR Feyre's life gets a little less hell-ish
TBR #1776, added Aug 21, 2016
library hold placed 8/21, #58 in queue; received 9/28 #5
finished 10/6/16

I went into ACOMAF knowing a few spoilers thanks to Pinterest, but wow even those did not ruin the experience of the book. I liked this one even more than I liked ACOTAR.

ACOMAF is just so solid. Like, it's got a good plot, it's got a relatable and flawed main character, and such an amazing extended cast of characters. And Rhys -- I thought Pinterest was over-exaggerating about him and I was wrong. I don't think he could be any more perfect as a love interest.

A lot of the reason that I liked ACOMAF is that there's so much focus on character interactions and character growth. We learn a lot about Feyre, and Rhys, and all of his inner court, and we get to see Feyre open up and start to heal after what happened in ACOTAR. I think that's the most important part -- that they all help her to heal, and they understand where she's coming from and support her as her own independent person.

(Unlike someone else in the book, cough cough.)

I'm also really loving the world they're in. We get to see so much more of it this time and it's definitely one I want to see so much more of. I'm usually not one for high fantasy or anything close to it but this is just so good. (The geography nerd in me has been appeased. Aside from the fact the maps look so tiny on my Kindle app :c )

There are also some ....... really steamy chapters this time. Even more so than ACOTAR. There were a couple times that I felt like I was reading a smut fanfiction -- the beginning and end of the book are definitely not to be read in public lol. And I think there's a chapter or two in the middle of the book that are a little questionable. I'd definitely classify this series as more New Adult than Young Adult.

Despite being like an eight-year-old and hating even makeout scenes, I can definitely appreciate the ... detail? that's been included in the relationship. It depicts such a healthy and balanced relationship -- which isn't always something we get in YA / NA. And hey, body positivity! They're more mature than YA couples tend to be, which is so refreshing, but yeah this definitely isn't something I'd readily recommend to someone still in high school.

I'm excited to continue on with this series and I'm kicking myself because now I have to wait for the third book to come out. I'm kind of dreading the wait but I'm sure it's gonna be worth it.

TL:DR this completely exceeded my expectations and I'm officially hooked on this series. It's got some R-rated scenes in it, but other than that this series is really high on my recommendations list so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment