Friday, October 7, 2016

Halloween Book Recs

In compiling this list into a shelf on Goodreads, I realized I own copies of the majority of the books. Usually I'm not one for the scarier side of Halloween, so this is a little surprising.

(Though I'll admit, none of these are jump-scare books. They're just along the lines of creepy or unsettling.)




The Archived by Victoria Schwab

This book is about ghosts and has a very cold aesthetic -- almost like wandering through underground passages or cellars with dirt walls. It's definitely a fall book, and I think the association with ghosts / the dead places it perfectly as a Halloween book.

There's a sequel titled The Unbound that I haven't read yet, and Victoria Schwab has started work on the third book, but so far there aren't any details about when it could be published.

Nameless by Lili St. Crow

This is about vampires and also felt pretty cold, but it also takes place towards the winter, so that might be part of it. It's definitely an unsettling world overall. There's a lot of mystery and secrecy that continue past the end of the book.

This is part of a series, though those books focus on Camille's friends. I've added the next book to my TBR but I'm not sure if or when I can get my hands on it.

Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink  and Jeffrey Cranor

The Welcome to Night Vale podcast series definitely is a very Halloween aesthetic, with what all goes down in their town. The book isn't quite as creepy, since there isn't the added benefit of sound effects or Cecil's voice, but it still effectively captures the series. The series in general also reminds me of cold weather and fog due to listening to the beginning podcasts during our Alaska trip.

This is part of a multi-media series with a large and ongoing podcast series, and I think there are other books being released, but I don't know much about those.

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

This is all about ghosts and the metaphorical skeletons in the closet, and I'm pretty sure it takes place around Halloween as well. It's got a very cold and creepy feel to it but I found myself still enjoying it a lot. The characters are all very endearing.

This is part of a series, which I think is four books and just wrapped up recently. I have the next book on my ebook TBR and hopefully I'll get to it sooner rather than later.

Need by Carrie Jones

This one is rare for YA in that it focuses on pixies, rather than faeries and the Courts. It takes place in the middle of winter, but I think it's also fitting for Halloween with all the mystery. (I think it might also come off as juvenile to some people, though.)

This is part of a series (trilogy?) that I read back in middle school, and I'm trying to make my way through it again. I enjoyed it back then and so far I've still found it enjoyable.

Dark Star by Bethany Frenette

This takes place around Halloween and deals with demons, so it's perfect, right? I listened to most of the audiobook when we were in Alaska, so I associate it a lot with fog and chilly weather. The audio book narrator's voice was totally fitting for it.

This is part of a series, but I know my library doesn't have any of the books, so I'm restricted to when I can find good deals on the books on Amazon [cries].

Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge (Also: Cruel Beauty)

Crimson Bound is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, and Cruel Beauty one of Beauty and the Beast. Both are darker retellings, and they take their own directions with the stories. They can also be a little morbid, which makes them feel like perfect Halloween books.

The books aren't related to each other (despite how similar their covers look). They both have the same vibe going, though.


So there we go! I was surprised that I had this many books to add to the list. I own all of them but Nameless and Rosamund Hodge's books. I think a lot of these books could also stand in for rainy day reading during the fall (which it feels like we've gotten a lot of lately).

I think the rest of the posts this month are book reviews, with one or two NaNo-related posts. I'm already gearing up for NaNo with my friend, so I'm already looking past Halloween lol. Here's to a good October!

No comments:

Post a Comment