Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Casanova Progress: Jul - Sept 2016

It's time for another update post on Casanova! (A very pitiful one OTL.) I started this post series so I would keep track of my progress on the story over the course of the year. This will be my last post in 2016 -- the final one will be in January.


This is the same picture that I posted in my July Camp NaNo reflection. I did really well during this Camp NaNo, too, and that momentum got me some better ideas of the story (and my license lol).

August wasn't as great in terms of Casanova progress ... I went to Otakon over my birthday weekend and spent a lot more time stressing about school than I probably needed to. (Ironically, that part should've generated a lot of ideas for Casanova, and I think I did channel that anxiety into a couple days' worth of writing.)

..... aaaaand September was even worse ;;; I don't think I ever updated my post about school -- I changed my schedule to drop my TV production class and add three geography classes, all of which meet once a week in the evening. I've been having some trouble getting used to that schedule and I've felt pretty exhausted this whole month. 

Despite this seemingly slow progress I've made, I did finally start working on the first chapter, even if it took me past the first day of school and isn't quite done yet. I've still been doing a lot of thinking about Casanova, even if I'm not writing for it as much. 

I'm still a little torn on my NaNo plans. I would love to re-write Casanova from the bottom-up and see if I can get a more coherent draft this year, but I'm also afraid that I won't have enough motivation or ideas to propel me through the entire month. I've managed to win NaNo the past three years and I don't want to break that streak. 

That said, I'm more partial to doing Casanova again than trying my sci-fi Nutcracker retelling or another idea that's come about entirely from Pinterest. I do really want to get this story touched up and presentable to other people. Based on my track record from this year, NaNo is probably going to be the only way I'll have enough structure and motivation to get my re-write done ... One of my close friends is doing NaNo this year, so hopefully we can get each other through the challenge.

I still have the rest of October to decide. I'm definitely going to let myself rest and stockpile ideas so I can attack November with lots of ideas, Casanova or not. I'll probably have to put in a lot of extra work for my geography classes so I can have most of the difficult work of my final projects out of the way by the time the 1st rolls around.

[sigh] 

Hopefully these next few months will go well!

No comments:

Post a Comment