Sunday, November 6, 2016

Firstlife by Gena Showalter [DNF review]

TL;DR mary sue-like MC and nothing else interesting
TBR #1699, added Jul 1, 2016
library ebook hold placed 9/28/16, #47 in queue; received 10/1, #46
DNFed 10/15/16, ~20%

This is the first book that I've specifically DNFed in a while, and I figured I had enough to warrant thoughts to warrant giving Firstlife its own blog post. This is still going to be pretty short since I didn't make it too too far into the story.

The main character wasn't interesting or compelling. She kind of annoyed me from the very beginning, which was not a good sign whatsoever. The introduction at the beginning - before the story even started - introduced the two agents in a way that removed any kind of subtlety they were probably supposed to have. The agents' roles in the story were heavy-handed and pretty obnoxious to read.

The only other saving grace would've been the setting and worldbuilding, which we completely missed out on, because she's in prison. All we get is descriptions of their universe through narrations and flashback, which wasn't nearly enough for what I was hoping for. The concept was unique enough that I was willing to try it out - despite the possibility of cliches - and I was really disappointed.

All in all, almost nothing happened up through the 20% mark, and I decided I would rather check out my reserved books that were then available than try to suffer through Firstlife

TL;DR I didn't like the main characters and we had very little plot or setting / worldbuilding up until the point I quit reading.

I would love to have a second opinion on this book, whether you actually did enjoy it or just made it further than I did. I highly doubt I'm going to give Firstlife a second try but I would like to discuss it more if I had the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment