Sunday, December 18, 2016

Flight by Alyssa Rose Ivy

TL;DR don't accept drinks from strangers
TBR #1379, added Aug 3, 2015
finished 12/13/16

I'm gonna admit right now I didn't really get along well with this book. Most of that is probably my fault for picking up a Paranormal Romance book when I know I rarely ever like them. (The only reason I really went through with this was because it was higher up on my TBR. Not that 1379 out of 1804 is "high" ...)

I feel like Flight could have used more revision. The characters were one-dimensional and not-compelling and the plot and narration weren't nearly as strong as they could have been. There was a lot of room for potential in terms of character development and worldbuilding and it just was never there.

Allie was an idiot and Jess and Hailey were more token best friends than being realistic characters. Levi wasn't consistent as a character at all and he was usually a jerk more than he was anything close to a decent love interest. I didn't see any chemistry between Allie and Levi and I was irritated at the romance more than anything else.

Especially because of the contrived-ness of the latter half of the book. There's no plot for the first half other than the romance, and then everything just suddenly happens when it realistically shouldn't -- for a paranormal, Levi was awfully daring in trusting Allie. Especially considering one of the other boys in the group (Owen?) had his own little backstory paragraph about how his didn't work out.

There was very little about their society, too. Paranormal Romance implies more than just boys with wings, y'know? I would've been significantly happier if we'd gotten more structure about what the heck the shifters (capital Shifters?) were but we didn't see anything outside of Levi and his friends except for one party with werewolves that lasted maybe two pages and a party at the end of the book.

I would say I'd do things a lot differently if I'd been Allie, but honestly, I never would've gotten into her situation in the first place. I would not have stuck around in an uncomfortable position just because my friend was flirting with a guy, and I definitely would have pulled the "I'm the daughter of someone important" to get Levi to back the hell off.

Also, he and Hailey bought Allie drinks? On more than one occasion? Knowing she's a minor? And Hailey was a minor too! Do they just not card people in New Orleans or something? And why was Allie stupid enough to accept multiple drinks from a guy she didn't know who refused to tell her what was in them???

TL;DR I read the whole thing but it can all be summed up with "Allie was stupid enough to get in a bad position and then got mad when she couldn't get back out of it". And all of this could have been avoided if she was smart enough to not accept a drink from a man who was obviously older than her.

No comments:

Post a Comment