Monday, January 23, 2017

Bone Gap by Laura Ruby

TL;DR listen to the corn (lol)
TBR #1762, added Sept 17, 2016
finished 1/19/17

I actually checked this out from the library back in like September, but I never got around to touching it, so my copy expired. I'm not really sure why I decided to put a second hold on it.

Bone Gap took a little while to grow on me -- I hadn't checked the Goodreads description again before I jumped into it, so I didn't really know what direction the book was heading in. And the magical realism (if that's the term for it) kind of threw me for a loop. The narration was a little hard to adjust to, partially because I'd just finished a first-person POV book, but I think it ultimately helped the aesthetic.

This book definitely isn't that straightforward, with the magical realism and the threads of the story that aren't revealed until you're further in. I'd definitely say this would be a good book to read through in one sitting just so it's easier to keep everything straight.

I ended up really enjoying Bone Gap once I started to like all the characters (which didn't take all that much) and it was a funner read than I was expecting. Also, the romance was A+.

As far as I know, it's also a standalone, so I recommend it for that factor as well. It's a good read and everything wraps up by the end so you don't have any cliffhangers or unfinished plot lines. (Well, there are some aspects that weren't explained like I wanted, but for the limited third-person POV, I think it makes sense? None of the characters knew the answers. And it's not a detriment in my opinion.)

TL;DR it might be a little hard to follow because of the magical realism but it was an enjoyable read and would be a good rainy-day book.

CWs: unreality, injuries / blood, kidnapping

No comments:

Post a Comment