Monday, February 22, 2016

8 Song Challenge: Aperture

I'm finally trying out a new post series I came up with!

My writing playlists tend to get kind of long, so I thought it would be a fun challenge to try and limit myself to eight songs and still encompass the feeling of the whole playlist.



I don't have many posts about Aperture so far, but I do have an old post about character playlists and a more recent post about the quartet. Aperture is my "sandbox" story that I worked on for the majority of high school and it's definitely the story I work on the most.

You can click the embedded video below to play all the songs in the playlist, or you can head to the playlist's page on YouTube, or you can continue below the cut to see a little bit more about the songs I picked!





   
 Shut Up and Dance -- Walk the Moon

This song was played a lot in May, right around prom and graduation, and it reminded me a lot of Quinn and Nate. I used writing the quartet to deal with what I experienced through junior and senior years, so being able to associate an upbeat song with them and the good memories I had from prom really helped me out.

 
The Monster / Wake Me Up -- Megan Davies

These two songs were on the Aperture playlist individually, and I love this mashup. I associate both of these songs with Quinn's struggle with her anxiety and how the other characters play into that.


 Come Together -- Echosmith

"Cool Kids" was the first Echosmith song I ever found, and it relates a lot to the beginning of Aperture, but I think "Come Together" fits the story more as a whole. I first found this song on Pandora while I was falling asleep one night, and it actually woke me back up because I was afraid I'd never find it again. A lot of Aperture is the characters learning to trust and rely on each other, and this song feels perfect for that.


 I Slept With Someone in Fall Out Boy -- Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy is about half of my full Aperture playlist. It wasn't until sometime recently that I realized this song's lyrics encompassed almost all of the plot of the quartet's junior year. I've made a sort-of attempt at sketching out scenes I relate to the song, so I'd love to turn that into a storyboard one day soon.


 The Days -- Avicii

This song's lyrics encompass a lot of what Aperture is to me as a whole. Aperture is written in Quinn's point of view, so I don't always get to explore everything I want to, but the story is a lot more than just her experiences. I've had a lot of fun exploring all the other characters' backstories and what the events of the story mean to them.


 How Far We've Come -- Matchbox 20

This is another song I associate a lot with graduation, especially since I've seen it used for AMVs of Blood of Olympus and the end of Gravity Falls. The quartet went through a lot together and I spent a lot of time writing Quinn's fear of drifting apart from her friends after high school.


 Absolutely (Story of a Girl) -- Nine Days

This reminds me a lot of the quartet's senior year, especially Quinn and Nate's relationship with each other. Quinn has a pretty roller-coaster year emotionally and the two of them aren't sure how to react to how close they've gotten to each other. I've had a lot of fun exploring their interactions.


 Where Did the Party Go -- Fall Out Boy

This doesn't have much to do with the story anymore, but this was the first song I associated with Quinn and Nate's part of the story, even before it became part of Aperture. It's always going to remind me of the summer after sophomore year and what their story was like before I combined it with Fel and Sol's story.


So that's it! I may come back in later and re-arrange the songs in the post so I don't jump around the story's timeline so much ;; My Aperture playlist on Spotify is 37 songs / 2hr13min long, so this was definitely the challenge I hoped it would be! 

In writing this I realized there's a lot I still haven't talked about regarding Aperture so far, so I'll probably write a post about the plot of it soon. I've gotten to a point where I'm fairly certain about a majority of what happens, and I'd really love to talk about it in some detail. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment