Monday, April 4, 2016

Casanova Progress: Jan - Mar 2016

These posts are supposed to help keep me accountable for my Casanova progress over the course of the year. I can't say that they'll really work, but I say that about everything else pretty much. And it doesn't hurt to try. 


I made a post about my writing progress in general back in mid February, so I'm gonna do my best not to repeat anything I said then.

This was my total word count chart for January. I was still trying to recover from NaNo burnout, so I spent a lot of time working on Aperture since it was easier for me to write. I think it was good to give Casanova a down time of about two months before I picked it up again. I got about 1k words written the three days in January that I wrote for it. 

This is the chart I made for February. (I should've labeled the pictures, whoops.) I pushed myself to write at least 100 words a day for Casanova starting Feb 1st and it worked really well! I had some really good days where I got a lot of writing done. My average was about 375 words each day. 

Most of these are vignettes or scenes I wasn't really planning on using. I wrote a lot of fluff to get back into the habit of working on the story, but it also helped me decide on some key elements of the story I didn't touch before. 

This is my March chart. I thought I did better during March, but Excel is telling my average was about 331 words a day ... :{ I think I also had more motivation and ideas for Aperture than I did for Casanova

In regards to what I've actually written: I don't think I'm much closer to being able to having a complete draft, but I have done some decision-making on things that I left up in the air during NaNo. I've also been refining character relationships and interactions and what effect they have on the plot.

I wanted to get a full outline done by March 31st to have for Camp NaNo, but I completely slacked on it. I finally started it during NaNo and I'm counting it towards my word count. Which is probably cheating if you think about it. I don't think I've made any other effort to make a timeline, though, so it's coming in handy. Trying to write the whole story in bullet points is actually fun.

My goals for the next three months:

  • assign names to the rest of the cast (which I was really supposed to do during March)
  • actually use the outline I wrote and maybe get some feedback on it
  • figure out which scenes I need that I've been avoiding and try to tweak or work around them
Hopefully things will go as planned! I'll have a post up at the end of the month to talk about how Camp NaNo went. 

No comments:

Post a Comment