Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett

TL;DR two teens navigating various interpersonal relationships
TBR #1542, added Mar 8th 2016
finished 4/7/16

I don't think I knew much about the book before I started. It was a pretty fun book to go blind into, and the dust jacket blurb made it seem like it was gonna be a pretty wild ride. 

I really appreciated the depth of the characters and how far-reaching their lives were. Their experiences and lives expanded a lot further than the book did, which made everything feel so realistic. There was more depth to everything than was initially hinted at and a lot of things were still left open-ended. 

I also really liked the relationship Beatrix and Jack had. They were a really good duo and really cared for each other. Also, the book is very sex-positive and I was glad of the portrayal of both Beatrix's relationship and how her brother was treated by the narration and the other characters. (The Rest of Us Just Live Here is also a good book if you want more of that, btw.)

The portrayal of both of the main characters' family dynamics was eye-opening, too. Reading about their experiences gave me a new perspective into some things my own family has gone through. I'm very glad for that. 

The ending of the book felt a little too Freytag's Pyramid, and I think parts of the resolution were a little too nice, but all in all I was happy with the ending. Some of the climax wrapped up a little too nicely, but there were also things that were left open-ended and unanswered, so I think it balances out. 

The Anatomical Shape of a Heart also had a ton of geographical cues and I probably used up half a pack of sticky notes trying to document them all. I don't know when I'll get around to making a map of them, but I had a lot of fun experiencing San Francisco through Beatrix's eyes. 

TL;DR the book felt very realistic and I really enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment