Sunday, April 10, 2016

Fan Art by Sarah Tregay

TL;DR flashbacks to my own senior year
TBR #713, added Nov 11 2013
finished 3/31/16

I'm not kidding. Reading Fan Art was like re-living the last few months of senior year, the only difference being that I'm not a gay guy in Idaho. I was the design manager of my school's literary magazine and went through some major internal chaos during my senior year, including a crush on one of my friends.

Luckily for me, the fanart that my friend had drawn of my crush and I had never gotten into his hands.

The fact that I can honestly say I've had someone draw fanart of us is weird. So in case you think the premise of the book is unlikely: it is completely possible. People like Eden do exist. And somehow I became friends with them. 

Needless to say, this was such a good representation of what it's like to finish out your senior year. It was reassuring to see that my friends and I weren't the only ones who didn't really know what to do with our lives. And that the kind of shojo drama we experienced wasn't unique to just us. It's reassuring, y'know?

The romance kept me guessing the whole time. I was so in tune with what Jamie was going through that I couldn't make any better predictions of the outcome than he could. I liked how everything was balanced and that it felt normal, not like some melodramatic drawn-out infatuation.

I also really liked how the tone of the book was light overall. I mean, I'm pretty sure there were some ups and downs, but my memory of the book overall is pretty warm. If that even makes sense. Like, sad books feel cold, right? Or is that just me?

Anyway. I found some more specific geography clues than just "Idaho", so hopefully I'll come back and add them in soon.

TL;DR if you ever want to know what my spring semester senior year was like, here you go. I'm pretty sure I'll buy a copy of Fan Art if I can find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment