Saturday, May 28, 2016

Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

TL;DR Simon can't really get a break
TBR #1164, added Jan 7 2015
finished 5/12/16

I managed to kill most of Simon Vs on my second day of exams, much like I killed The Geography of You and Me the day before. Both books were a great format for it: compelling but light-hearted, just distracting enough that I didn't fret over my exams. 

I've been waiting for Simon Vs for a while now and I finally got my hands on it! I've heard lots of good things about it from various bloggers and I was excited. I can definitely say it lives up to the hype. 

Unfortunately, I waited too long to write this review, and I forgot most of what I wanted to say. You think I would've learned by now. smh

(I apologize for this non-review in advance)

I enjoyed the story and the journey of the different characters. It wasn't just about Simon, but I do wish there was more attention on some of the other characters' conflicts. The plotline of finding Blue's identity was fun, but I'd have to go back and re-read it to see if there were enough clues to be able to guess who he was. I made a couple of different predictions and was way off the mark lol

I think the aspect of the school's tumblr was interesting, and I think it's accurate that some of the students used it to harass others. My high school had a confessions twitter, which surprisingly was mostly used to compare the popular students against each other. I've never modded a tumblr run by submissions but I think that the concept was used idealistically in order to make the story function -- if nothing else, I have no idea why the tumblr's mods would have allowed the Important Post to be posted. 

Also, if there's ever any doubt about Abby's driving skills, she is exactly on point for a kid out of the DC area. Our traffic sucks. Atlanta's gotta be a breeze compared to our driving. I'm super excited to get my hands on her book in 2017. All the books I've encountered that are set in DC seem to center around politics. (Except Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, I guess, but I last read that series in elementary school.) 

The cameos of The Varsity and Junkman's Daughter made me super happy, because those are two of the places we went in Atlanta on our trip through the south in 2011. (My mother apparently doesn't remember Junkman's Daughter lol. I bought a Vampire Knight t-shirt there. I've worn it like maybe four times. I still own it.)

I stole a glorious #gpoy from my mom's Facebook photo album from the trip. Somehow this is the only picture she has from The Varsity. (I'm the one on the right. I think I still own that shirt, too. Good lord.) 


Anyway, I realize this review probably isn't much help, so here's a Pinterest board for the book by a wonderful Pinterest user I follow. They also have a bunch for other YA books! They do a great job of capturing the aesthetic and important details of the books and the characters in them. I'm amazed by their collection skills. 

TL;DR Simon Vs a great LGBT+ book that isn't all sorts of dark angst.  I enjoyed the experience of reading it but my chaotic May has written over my memory of most details. I need a better memory than a tape deck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment