Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis

TL;DR sci-fi Snow White retelling
TBR #1146, added Nov 25 2014
finished 5/20/16

You like The Lunar Chronicles? Read Stitching Snow.   /end review

Just kidding, I have more to say than that. But seriously, if you like the aesthetic of TLC but are a little scared about the size of the series, Stitching Snow is a perfect alternative. It has a much more streamlined plot, focusing on one girl instead of four, but it still has the whole sci-fi-revolution thing going on. 

And Essie is just as mechanic-savvy as Cinder! The two stories and characters are very unique despite the aforementioned similarities. Essie was a very endearing character and I liked her from the beginning. Her narration was engaging and I was invested in her story the entire time. 

I liked that the story was clearly a Snow White retelling but that it added onto the story. I never really liked Snow White's story before (maybe I found the Disney movie boring, idk), but Stitching Snow was engaging and developed the story much more than I was anticipating. 

I initially thought this book and Spinning Starlight were in a numbered series, but it looks like they're only loose companions (meaning you can read either first). I know my library has a copy of Spinning Starlight, so I'll try to get my hands on it and report back. 

CWs for the book: abuse from parental figures, attempted sexual assault

TL;DR I really liked finding a new book with the same aesthetic of TLC, and I'm excited to see more of R.C. Lewis' writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment