Wednesday, May 4, 2016

What I'm Reading: May 2016

I haven't actually finished any books since Mechanica on April 15th OTL I've been meaning to go back to the library, but I've been feeling worn out now that the semester is coming to an end. I've had a lot of work these past two weeks. (And not enough sleep.)

But I'm still reading, so I figured I'd talk some about what I've been picking at recently.

Also!! I just learned last night that my friend Jessica started her booktube channel!! She has two videos so far and I'm so proud of her ♥ Here's to lots of videos in the future!! (And lots of fame ;) )

*ahem*



Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

I read the first few books in this series back in late elementary / early middle school and bought Marked from a yard sale for, like, a dollar. I wasn't too impressed with the series and didn't care enough to continue with the rest of them.

Marked was published in 2007 and it's a pretty good example of pre-2011 books. (I still haven't written that post like I talked about.) It feels too much like the authors were trying to be ~edgy~ and appeal to the kind of kids that would boast about shopping at Hot Topic before it became pop culture-oriented. There's a lot of petty judgement between the characters and none of them feel realistic. (Even Zoey's grandma, I hate to admit. Also, Zoey and her grandmother feel a lot like Daire and her grandmother from Fated. And I despised that series.)

I've only been reading this while my computer is loading or is taking too long to think, and since I've already read it, I don't know that I'll actually get around to finishing it again.

Neverwas by Kelly Moore, Tucker Reed, and Larkin Reed

This is also another book I've already read. I bought a paperback copy from a Friends of the Library sale. (Also for a dollar, I think.) In all honesty, I didn't expect I'd touch it again since I liked Amber House more.

I've been carrying this around in my backpack and haven't been touching it as much as I do library books. I only decided to pick it up because I remembered a scene from a book I read and I couldn't remember if it was from Neverwas or All Our Yesterdays, and I at least had Neverwas to check it. I think I was right about it being Neverwas, but I really doubt I'm going to finish the book before finals are over and I have no need for my backpack for another couple months.

Ready Player One by Ernest Kline

I downloaded the sample of this book from Google Play and have been reading it to one of the kids I babysit as his bedtime story. Not the best idea, tbh, but he's liked it so far and brought it up the last time I watched him. I'm definitely not gonna read the whole thing to him, but I've become really interested in the premise now that I've read the first two chapters. I think there's still another chapter in the sample, which I'll probably read to the kid the next time I watch him in the evening.

The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan

I noticed the sample up on Google Play the day it came out and I jumped on the chance, since I probably can't buy the book until after exams are over. (Mainly so I don't spend all my time reading instead of studying. Which is a poor excuse when I read the entire sample during my Weather class on Tuesday instead of paying attention.)

The sample is really good and I'm even more excited about reading the book. Apollo isn't a very sympathetic narrator, but I appreciate how Riordan is exploring his point of view. I really want to see how Apollo and Meg fit into the established stories; there's been mentions of Blood of Olympus and The Sword of Summer events just in the first couple chapters.

Disney After Dark by Ridley Pearson

One of the later books in the series came up on a Bookbub email, and I decided to check out the first book. My friend is moving to Orlando for the Disney College Program for the fall semester and I thought I'd see if it was a good recommendation for him.

I think it's a little more MG than my friend would like, though. (I don't know why I was expecting anything else.) The narration and story setup was a little weird as far as I got, but I don't remember if I finished the sample or not. I'm curious about the series but I'm not going to go out of my way to buy it.


So that's it so far! I'm hoping to go back to the library on Monday since my books are due then. (Hopefully I won't renew them again. I need new books.)

Books I downloaded samples of but haven't touched yet: Deep Blue, Wake, Bloodlines, Pure, The Heir, and Soundless. I also downloaded the sample of Sisters of the Sword but I'm almost certain that I read it and its sequel in late elementary / early middle school.

If you guys have read any of these books, I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment