Monday, May 16, 2016

Summer Book Recs

I associate a lot of books with specific seasons. A lot of fluffy contemps are very summer-y, but I have a feeling that might be due to most of them being set during the summer ...

Anyway, I figured I would compile some of my favorite summer-y books! These are perfect for sitting outside underneath a tree to read (or hiding somewhere with AC, same thing). Most of these are contemps, but I've tried to find at least a few that aren't. Which is harder than I expected! I learned I associate most fantasy or sci-fi books with winter.

I'm also hoping to make more of these kinds of posts throughout the year! It's been fun examining my associations with all the books on my Read shelf. I also might come back and update this post as the summer goes on and I read more books, but we'll see.

Summer Book Recs


I've also made a Goodreads shelf of these books if you'd rather browse that way!

Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett -- contemp about two kids in San Francisco, with a focus on their relationships with their families. Takes place the summer following the narrator's junior year. (my review)

Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler -- contemp about a girl recovering after an accident takes away her plan in life. Lots of stuff about friendships and family relationships and is very body- and sex-positive. Takes place during the summer on the Oregon coast. (my review)

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson -- contemp about a girl making new friendships in the wake of her best friend dropping off the face of the earth. Lots of shenanigans. Takes place during the summer somewhere in New England (maybe?). (my review)

Along For the Ride by Sarah Dessen -- contemp about a girl navigating life post-parental divorce and pre-college. Also lots of shenanigans. Take place during the summer in an unidentified beach town.

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick -- contemp about the relationship between a girl and the boy next door. Also has a focus on their family relationships. Takes place during the summer.

The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson -- sci-fi / dystopian about a rebellious artist and the "Summer King" of her city for that year. Takes place in Brazil.

Across a Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund -- sci-fi / dystopian retelling of The Scarlet Pimpernel (the same one that inspired Rook by Sharon Cameron). Takes place on two islands reminiscent of Hawaii.


So that's all I have so far! Hopefully some of these will be new and enjoyable for you guys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment