Monday, March 30, 2015

Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love

TL;DR magical boy anime

Honestly, if a magical boy anime in and of itself isn't enough to convince you, I don't know what will.

Just the concept of Binan Koukou was pretty hella. I found out about it through tumblr, though there was a considerable amount of dislike for it because some people were mad that the "only genre specifically for girls" was being "infiltrated". Honestly, it's very along the lines of Free! -- I feel like Binan Koukou is still very much marketed towards girls, but at the same time, it's not girly

I could probably make a whole post just about how Binan Koukou is great in terms of defying gender stereotypes. It's not like they took the concept of magical girls and made it masculine. It's literally just Madoka Magica or Sailor Moon with the girls replaced with a cast of guys. I want to see more of this trend. Like, why aren't guys allowed to have sparkly transformation sequences and flashy attacks with cute names? 

Binan Koukou kind of makes fun of itself and magical girl tropes, too. I'm pretty sure they break the fourth wall on more than one occasion. It's very light-hearted, but it does brush on stuff like self-hate or jealousy or lack of communication. Everything works out okay for the characters by the end. 

I really wish this were longer than 12 episodes. I feel like the plot could have been expanded on a lot, or at least that there should have been a little more filler. 

And the ending, though. Like, it came completely out of nowhere, but at the same time, I'd noticed some of the setup for it as I was watching, so it wasn't an Allegiant kind of ending. I think they could have foreshadowed a little more, though. And I kind of wish that they could have focused more on what they revealed in the final episode. 

TL;DR please watch it. It's great

No comments:

Post a Comment