Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

TL;DR a better (but still kind of questionable) story than Obsidian
(finished 2/27/15)

I have to say, I did like Onyx a lot more than Obsidian. In comparison. I'm still not necessarily sure it's a "good" book, but I didn't hate it nearly as much as Obsidian. I think that's going to be my new Twilight for a while. 

Anyway, I think the romance was a lot better this time around. It's still a little iffy on a moral ground based on where their romance started from, but it seemed healthier. They communicated a little better (in comparison) and started to work together of their own free will and not because they were both compelled to. It also seemed less lust-y. I appreciated that. There were still times they got physical, but it wasn't angry making out or making things blow up, so it didn't seem as bad to me. I could tolerate it. 

There also seemed to be more of a plot. I honestly found it intriguing, both how there was more going on and how Blake was used for the plot. I like Blake better than I do Daemon, but I think that's beside the point;; My friend was still surprised that I thought Blake > Daemon by the end of the book, but he just seemed more human to me. (Ha.) 

Katy's book blogging also played more of a role, or was at least mentioned more. I really appreciate that she's a book blogger. I may not be as hard-core as she is, but hey, representation! She talked about her books a little more in-depth than she had in Obsidian. I don't know if they were vaguely based on anything or if they were just things Jennifer Armentrout made up. 

I'm still not sure if I'd want to continue reading the series, but I think Onyx has given me enough hope for the next book if I ever needed something relatively mindless. (I swear that's not supposed to be an insult. And I also feel like Opal might be on the depressing side, so I don't even know where I was going with that point.) 

In related news, I've accidentally started a reading trend of "alien boy / human girl" books;; I started out with Earth and Sky, which up to this point I still haven't finished, then I read the two Lux books, and today I just got my copy of Alienated back from my grandmother. She seemed to like that one a lot, so I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm kind of wondering if there are any other books from the library that I can pick up to continue this trend before I get tired of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment