Saturday, January 2, 2016

16 Anticipated New Books of 2016

You might be thinking, "ha, that's so original, matching the number to the year", but I swear I have a better reason for it than that! I've decided that 8 will my "my number", so to speak. I'm hopefully going to be incorporating the number 8 a lot in upcoming posts. (Whether or not I actually do it is still up in the air, because if anything, I am indecisive and lazy.)

Anyway, onto the post!



I got bored one day and sorted out my Goodreads TBR a little bit. I created shelves for books being published in 2016 or 2017, since at first glance I have trouble remembering book birthdays if I haven't read them yet. I went through this year's and picked some out!

(As a side note, a lot of the books I've shelved don't have specific publishing dates up yet or have changed since I last reviewed the lists, so they're not perfect. I'm going to check them periodically to keep them as updated as I can.)

This list was supposed to be split 50-50, but I figured that disadvantaged some debut / new-ish authors I haven't had the chance to read yet.

These are only ordered by when I added them to the post. I only numbered them because I kept losing track of how many books I had listed already. In other words: number does not equal priority. This is also not a complete list of all the books I'm excited for! I tried to keep it at a reasonable number.




First up are books from the authors I follow:

1. The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan (May 3rd)

Because let's be honest, now that I've fallen into the Percy Jackson fandom, Rick Riordan could write an entire book about two PJO characters grocery shopping and I'd still buy it. But also, this one is specifically about one of the gods, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens! The plot revolves around something I didn't know could / would happen in the Percy Jackson universe, so I really want to see how it's handled and what all goes wrong for all the characters (lol). Honestly, a lot of the appeal of the Percy Jackson books is that the characters all get into chaos and have to noodle their way out of it.

(The sequel to The Sword of Summer is kinda-sorta on this list, too, but I'm not yet invested in the Norse series. The Hidden Oracle is more !! for me.)

2. Beyond the Red by Ava Jae (March 1st)

I've been following Ava Jae's blog for a while, so I'm really looking forward to reading her book! Getting my hands on it might potentially be an issue, since it's through a smaller publisher, but if I can't find it at Barnes and Noble I'll order it off the internet. (Because I've gotta be able to find it somewhere. I just like buying from physical stores more.)

3. Stars Above by Marissa Meyer (February 2nd)

LUNAR CHRONICLES PAPERBACK-EXCLUSIVE SHORT STORIES! NEW SHORT STORIES!! Ahem. Sorry.

4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer (November 8th)

Marissa Meyer was my first auto-buy author. I've loved The Lunar Chronicles since my freshman year, and though I'm sad it's over, I'm excited to see what new universes she's been working on.

5. A Tyranny of Petticoats anthology (March 8th)

This is mainly because Marissa Meyer is in it, but I have been promised some kickass girls, and I'm very looking forward to it.


Other books from my TBR:

6. Devil and the Bluebird by Jennifer Mason-Black (May 17th)

Working on Casanova has gotten me interested in how demons are portrayed in fiction, but I have trouble with things like Supernatural because I'm a scaredy cat. Devil and the Bluebird still has that kind of feel that I've been looking for and I'm hoping that it's something that I can get through without chickening out. Also, the cover's limited color palette is very pretty. And I'm holding out on the slight chance there's no romance since there's nothing hinted in the blurb so far. I'm always in the family love > romantic love boat.

7. A Most Magical Girl by Karen Foxlee (TBA)

A lot of the appeal of this is my (frequent) misconception this is gonna be about a magical girl (read: Sailor Moon), but I also like the blurb that's up on Goodreads. I haven't ventured very far into the MG genre and I'm hoping this'll get me into it a little more.

8. Diplomatic Immunity by Brodi Ashton (TBA)

This book is set on home turf, so right now I'm more excited about the setting than the short blurb, but hopefully that will shift once more info is released! "Exclusive private schools in DC" has popped up at least a few times in the books I've looked at but I can't say I've read any of them yet.

9. The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine (February 16th)

I keep seeing this cover everywhere, but I think that's because I keep mistaking the one Descendants-based book on it. I don't know. It sounds like a really good Snow White retelling based on the blurb! My only experience with Snow White is the Disney movie and Winter by Marissa Meyer.

10. Riders by Veronica Rossi (February 16th)

I've only read one of Rossi's books (Under the Never Sky), but I recognized the name and I'm really excited for Riders. I'm very unfamiliar with the concept of the four horsemen of the apocalypse other than the movie Now You See Me, which even at that was more of in name than anything.

11. We Are The Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson (January  19th)

Rashika's ARC review of this book has made me super excited about this book. It sounds really good. I mean, LGBT+ represenation and good characters? And aliens? Sign me up.

12. Bookishly Ever After by Isabel Bandeira (January 12th)

This seems very meta. I like meta. (I'm so eloquent OTL please forgive me)

13. Revel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton (March 8th)

The cover of Rebel of the Sands is beautiful. This is the first high fantasy I've come across that doesn't feel "European" in any sense. I've had difficulty getting into high fantasy because of the strong northern European influence and I'm hoping this'll help me get into the genre more.

14. A Fierce and Subtle Poison by Samantha Mabry (April 16th)

I think the slight paradox of the title drew me in first. It's tagged as magical realism and urban fantasy and seems like it falls within #diverseYA. I've wanted to read more diverse YA but haven't had too much luck in finding ones that fall within what I like to read. (Though tbh I should be trying harder to find them.)

15. Timekeeper by Tara Sim (TBA)

I really love the concepts of time travel and time manipulation. Also, this book is tagged as LGBT, which is very exciting.

16. Passenger by Alexandra Bracken (January 5th)

More time travel! I'm getting a very adventure-y feel from the blurb and I feel totally in the mood for it right now. Plus, that cover, man.

If you want to see more 2016 releases, check out Jessica @ Bookish Serendipity's posts about debuts and non-debut releases! She covers a lot of books that I didn't talk about or that I don't know much about yet. (And check out the rest of her blog while you're at it, too. She's an amazing blogger.)

No comments:

Post a Comment