Sunday, January 17, 2016

Ultimate Book Tag (via @bookishSC)

Jessica @ Bookish Serendipity did the tag back in June and left an open-ended tag, so I copied down the questions in a post draft. I wrote in most of the answers during the summer and then forgot about it. Which is a good thing, because I was at a complete loss as to what to post today.



So here we go! This is a long post, so I'm sticking it beneath a cut.




1. Do you get sick while reading in the car?

No. I don't read much in the car anymore, though. I tend to get distracted by what's out the window or use the time to try and nap. #Team3AM

2. Which author’s writing style is completely unique to you and why?

I think it's a tie between Marissa Meyer and Rick Riordan. That's probably also because they're my favorite authors right now. I love how Meyer's reminds me of Sailor Moon and how it tends to walk the line between dreamy fairy tale romance and nightmare-ish situations. Riordan's I like because of Percy's narration. The other series' have had pretty good narration as well, but Percy's has stuck out to me because good lord do I love that kid's sass.

3. Harry Potter Series or the Twilight Saga?

Harry Potter series. I never really liked Twilight when it became popular, but that was mainly because I was a rebellious little sixth grader who wasn't all that impressed by the story. I only finished the series because my grandmother lent me her copies of the books.

4. Do you carry a book bag? If so, what is in it?

I carry around a bag for doing everyday things, but I have a bag specifically for going to the library. The library bag just has a little holder with my library card in it.

5. Do you smell your books?

Very rarely. Only if they're older library books. Most books just smell the same to me.

6. Books with or without little illustrations?

The Guardians of Childhood books are some of my favorites because they have illustrations in them and it adds an extra dimension to the whole storyline. I've collected a lot of cartoon novelizations with pictures, but I haven't read many of them.

7. What book did you love while reading but discovered later it wasn’t quality writing?

A lot of books I read in elementary or early middle school, actually. I feel like there's a very distinct change in YA books around the time that I finished middle school, so a lot of the books I read before 2010 that I've gone back to read weren't as impressive as I remembered.

8. Do you have any funny stories involving books from your childhood? Please share!

I vaguely remember my dad reading Charlotte's Web to me, but apparently I kept correcting him when he read, so he stopped.

9. What is the tiniest book on your shelf?

The Story of Jack Frost picture book. I think my mom found it for me at a yard sale.

10. What is the thickest book on your shelf?

Winter, probably.

11. Do you write as well as read? Do you see yourself in the future as being an author?

I write a lot! I would love to be an "official" author, but as of right now I'm still not ready to publish anything I've written. I still have to finish the stories before I can think about publishing them.

12. When did you get into reading?

My parents read to me a lot when I was little. I don't know there was ever a time I wasn't into reading.

13. What is your favourite classic book?

I don't know that I have one. The only classics I've read are because of English class, and that generally made me hate them. The only one I read of my free will was The Great Gatsby because I planned to see the new movie when it came out. (This helped me out a lot the next year in school when they assigned us the book. I got to slack a lot that unit.)

If we're defining this loosely, I'd probably say The Secret Garden. I can't say that I've read the original story; I read something published in a set for kids, so I have a feeling some of it might have been changed.

14. What is a series that you know of that is similar to Harry Potter or the Hunger Games?

Divergent, but I think that's to be expected. I think The Lunar Chronicles is in the same vein.

15. If you were given a book as a present that you had read before and hated, what would you do?

Probably just pass it on to someone else.

16. In school, what is your best subject?

lunch Anything humanities, I guess? I think my best subject is geography, but I've only had two classes of it so far. I've done well enough in English that I got out of taking it in college, but I never really enjoyed English class as much as I have geography.

17. What is a bad habit you always do while blogging?

Procrastinating on writing blog posts. Which is why you're seeing this in the first place.

18. What is your favorite word?

The only thing I can think of is "synergy", and that's only because it has such a strong connotation with two of my OCs.

19. Are you a nerd, dork, or dweeb? Or all of the above?

Probably all of them.

20. Vampires or Fairies? Why?

Fairies, probably. I feel like I've read enough of vampires. Stories about the fae are a little harder to come by.

21. Shapeshifters or Angels? Why?

Shapeshifters. From what I've seen, angels are either super good or super bad, and there's not really any gray middle ground for them. Polarized characters aren't all that fun to me.

22. Spirits or Werewolves? Why?

Spirits. They seem to have more variation, and Twilight put me off the whole werewolf thing. I've been trying to get into Teen Wolf, though. Not very successfully. But I made a few attempts.

23. Zombies or Vampires? Why?

Vampires. I really do not like the concept of zombies.

24. Love triangle or forbidden love?

Neither. Forbidden love is the lesser evil, though. I hate love triangles.

25. And finally: Full on romance books or action-packed with a few romantic scenes mixed in?

No romance at all Depends on what my reading habits have looked like. I prefer action over romance, but if I've been reading a lot of depressing books, I usually switch to romance for a few books to recover mentally. I'm a weakling.

The end!

I'm leaving this tag open-ended as well, so if you like the questions, have at it! I'd love to see what other peoples' responses are.

No comments:

Post a Comment