Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Winter Break 2015 - 2016

Being a college student definitely has its benefits. This year I got over a month off between semesters, which was extended by winter storm Jonas! We've already had our first two days of the spring semester cancelled. I'd still like more.



So, what did I do with my month of free time?




A lot of nothing

Which is about the norm for me. I'm really introverted and super lazy. It's been great to have all this down time after NaNo and Dallas and exams. I've gotten back into tumblr, which wasn't the best decision since I managed to kick myself of the habit, and I've fallen head-first into the Miraculous Ladybug fandom. I'm hoping to write an in-progress review of ML soon.

Some writing

I took two and a half weeks off from writing after NaNo to let myself recover, so my total word count for December is pretty dismal. I've been doing better in January though! I'm challenging myself to write an average of 500 words every day.

I was hoping to spend a lot of time working on Casanova, but that hasn't happened so far. I think I still need more time to recover from pushing myself so hard on it during NaNo. I still haven't filled in all the planning holes I caught, either, which is the bigger priority. Luckily I have people asking how my Casanova progress is, so I have some positive pressure to get things done.

Very little reading

I've only finished two books during winter break so far: Shadow and Bone and Winterspell. It's a little depressing considering how many books I know I can get through in a good week. I think I pushed myself way too hard during NaNo and burned myself out with just about everything. I've been getting my groove back little by little, and I'm hoping to be back to normal soon.

Spent time with friends

Almost all my close friends are attending the same college as me, so we have the same time off. I've played Dungeons and Dragons at least three times this winter break, and we've gone to the mall and played Minecraft through multiplayer. Chris and I have also done a lot of mini roadtrips around our area. I'm really glad to have such a great group of friends ♥

I also got to spend a lot of time with family because of Christmas, and I got to have a lunch / B&N day with my grandmother. There's probably going to be a lot more family interactions next month because of birthdays coming up.

Got a job!

Chris got me a job at the company he works for! The two of us and another girl currently split the role as an office assistant; Chris and I work when we can with our school schedules, and the other girl fills in more normal hours. It's been quite a learning experience so far and a little nerve-wracking, but I'm surviving. And I got my first paycheck already!


So I think that about covers everything I've done. It hasn't really been much, but I wasn't expecting to do much, so I'm on par c: Hanging out with my friends has definitely been an added bonus.

All that said, it's probably a good thing that winter break will be coming to an end. I spent a lot of days in my pjs without leaving the house and I think my writing has suffered from the lack of outside inspiration. And it'll be nice to see my friends more consistently. This break has been fun but I'm also excited to see what the spring will throw my way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment